Family picture

Family picture

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Brayden's New Room

In preparation for Baby Wyatt, which is the name Brayden so adamantly picked out and stuck to so we kept it, we are planning to shuffle all the boys' bedrooms.  Brayden is moving into what used to be our guest room and will be keeping the queen bed.  That way when guests come we still have a queen bed for them.  We tried to let Brayden choose whether he wanted to move into the guest room with the big bed or wanted to stay in his room with the bunk beds.  He finally decided on the guest room with the big bed and we told him anytime guests came he would get to sleep on the top bunk in what would be Kyle's new room.  If he had wanted to stay Kyle would have gotten the guest room and the big bed because we decided to keep the nursery in its same place for Wyatt.

Once we decided on who was moving where we got started on the guest room.  I repainted it with Brayden's help and Jimmy re-did the closet to make it MUCH more functional than it was.  The room turned out awesome I think and Brayden loves it.

Over the last year and a half I had been slowly getting rid of all the yellow walls in our house.  When we bought the house it was literally all some shade of yellow.  All that was/is left was our guest room, laundry room and master bedroom so I was thrilled to be getting rid of the yellow in the guest room.  Brayden helped me one Sunday afternoon with the first wall.  He did great helping and really enjoyed helping work on his new room.

 

So proud of his work :)  

I continued the painting and did all the walls a light blue and then the main wall behind his bed I did these navy stripes (inspired by Pinterest).  I love how it turned out and my hate for painters tape continues on.  I never use painters tape if I can avoid it but there wasn't an easy way to get the base stripes on without it.  So, I used painters tape for the first coat and as always the paint bled through so then the other coats I did by hand and cleaned up the stripe lines. 

We got a great deal on perfect rustic, boyish furniture for Brayden's new room off of Craigslist.  We got the headboard, footboard, dresser, nightstand and a chest of drawers (not in the pictures but in his room now) for like $600 and it was all brand new from the factory.
 


The boys spent the night at my parents house one night for a date night for us and on our date night we picked up the cool Marvel picture to complete Brayden's room.  Then, Jimmy and I worked the next morning before Brayden came home for nap to get it all set up for Brayden.  He loved it and of course loved the Marvel picture.  
 
 


Here is the before for the unusable closet.  It was just two bars with the only shelf being so high you couldn't get anything up on it.  Also the bars were so far out from the wall that if you were to really hang stuff in there you would never be able to see anything in the back.  Jimmy worked to redesign the closet (again Pinterest inspired) with multiple shelves and new bars and he put a light in the closet too.  It turned out great! 

Before

Brayden "helping" dada "build" his closet 

Hard to get good after shots since there's only the small door opening but it really is awesome.  He brought the upper shelf down so we can now actually use it, built shelves front and center and then on the right side put in an upper and lower bar with a shelf in between and on the left a shelf with a bar for longer things.  



With stuff in it...


So exciting for our big boy!

No comments: