Family picture

Family picture

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Week of firsts

What a week of firsts for Brayden! First fever, first smile, first bottle, first sleep without swaddling, first ride in the stroller part of the stroller, and first visit with Santa! Brayden is growing and changing by the day which is so exciting to see!

Last week started off pretty bad for us with both myself and Brayden fighting a cold. It was so sad seeing them poke and prod Brayden. Because of his young age they had to run him through the ringer to make sure there was nothing major or anything that could become serious at his age. Luckily he just had a low grade fever for a day and was fussy but it seemed to pass pretty quickly. My cold was pretty mild too. I guess the weekend in Austin just wore us out!

Once we were over the cold, the other "firsts" came in full force. One morning when I was talking to him he started smiling. I wasn't sure if it was intentional or not but it's become a daily occurrence. It still isn't something that he does all the time or even with other people but I get daily smiles. :)

One of his smiles


The time had also come for Brayden's first bottle. Jimmy wanted Mimi (my mom) to give him his first bottle so she came over one night to do so. Brayden did great. I was a little sad that he wasn't more upset with not having Mommy but I got over it pretty quickly. We have been giving him one bottle a day at this point so that he is ok with getting his food either way.

Brayden's first bottle


Jimmy's first time giving a bottle


We also are done with swaddling. We bought bigger swaddles a couple weeks back because Brayden was not quite ready to go unswaddled but was fighting the smaller swaddles. This week he seemed to be fighting the bigger swaddles so we decided to try again with sleeping without them and sure enough he did great. He will even sleep at night for his 5 hour stretches unswaddled just fine although we are still having a problem figuring out naps and how to stay asleep for them. That's one thing we are really trying to work on is our schedule. I have Babywise and am trying to follow it but Brayden doesn't seem to want to follow it so much. We at least have consistent feeding times each day but our waketimes and naptimes are all over the place. And we've also tried to let him cry it out.. sometimes it works but sometimes he gets so worked up that he is hyperalert and awake and mad too. Luckily though our schedule is only out of wack during the day and Brayden is sleeping great at night! He wakes up most nights once about 3am for a feeding and otherwise he sleeps from 9:30pm to 7am. With time we'll get the rest of the schedule figured out.



I have also started putting Brayden in the stroller part of the stroller instead of in the carseat hooked onto the stroller for our daily walks which he seems to like, especially since he really dislikes getting buckled into his carseat. The first time he pretty much slept the whole time but the last couple times he has stayed awake and looked around at the trees etc. I tried one day to take both dogs and Brayden which I don't think I'll try again. Our dogs get way too excited on walks and it was very difficult controlling them all. It makes me sad that the dogs can't join us because I know they love it so much but I can only do so much on my own. I'm also hoping to move to a jogging stroller pretty soon so that we can turn our walks into runs. :)



This past weekend Brayden joined my mom and I Christmas shopping all day and while we were at the mall there wasn't a line for Santa so we decided Brayden needed to meet Santa this year. We had him dressed in one of his Christmas outfits too so it worked out great. Brayden of course had no idea what was going on but we got a good pic out of it.

Mimi got him this cute Christmas outfit



No comments: